Greek Orthodox Manor History
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church was blessed that it acquired 18 plus acreas of land for its church in 1957. The acreage allowed ample space for the church and parking, and a site suitable for an annual picnic for over 25 years. In 1984, it was decided that a senior citizen project on the grounds of the church would be beneficial to the parish and the immediate neighborhood. A federal grant was secured that enabled the parish to build a first rate facility of 40 units (30 one bedroom and 10 efficiency units) The project was named Greek Orthodox Manor. The grant also subsidized the rents such that for qualified applicants, the rent would be only 30% of their income. In 2007, all the efficiency units were converted to one-bedroom units, so that today, there are 34 one-bedroom units. The manor also has a manager who resides in a two-bedroom unit.
The Manor is operated by a non-profit Board of Directors that is affiliated with the church. The current makeup of the Manor is about 35% of the residents are Greek Orthodox, and the balance are other faiths. The facility is non-denominational and is professionally managed.